The following checklist should be used to assure that any new wiring
proposed and/or installed by campus departments or contractors conforms to the
proposed campus communications cabling standard.
- Prepare a scope of work document which contains the following
If required by the proposed installation, has contact been made with
Facilities Management and/or Environmental Health and Safety?
Is the wire to be placed compatible with the campus communications
Does an installation manual exist to guide the placement and termination
of the proposed wiring?
Has provision been made to provide wall plates or touch-up plaster and
painting to repair damaged wall surfaces?
Does a testing and acceptance procedure exist applicable to the proposed
installation and to the campus standard?
Do documentation formats and forms exist to guide the installation and
provide permanent reference after installation, testing and acceptance?
Has documentation been prepared which defines the materials and
configuration for jumper cables to be used at the workstation end and at the
- A list of all rooms to be wired and the end-to-end route for the
- The type of ceiling tiles used in rooms or hallways which may be entered
for wire placement. Have a plan to replace broken tiles.
- A determination if the ceiling area is of plenum or non-plenum
- Identification of conduits, and existing cables, which may be used for
- Identification of wall construction on which communications outlets will be
- Location of backboard space for wire termination and patch panels in
serving communications subterminal.