Original posting: 6/27/03
We offer Temporary Disconnection of a Business (Faculty or Staff) telephone
line that may help you to reduce your monthly telephone expenses. This service
can be used when a department wants to deactivate a Business telephone line for
an indefinite period of time, retain the telephone number, and then reactivate
the telephone line with its original telephone number. The most frequent use of
this service is by academic departments, who disconnect some faculty telephone
lines over the summer and during leave periods. There are no one-time charges to
place a telephone line on Temporary Disconnection service or to reactivate the
telephone line at a future date, but there is a nominal
monthly charge for this service.
When someone calls a line that has been temporarily disconnected, they hear a
generic recorded announcement. If you want to record your own message to
be played to these callers (for example, the name or telephone number of someone
else in your department), you can add a Greeting Only Voice Mailbox. This mailbox is available for a small monthly charge,
plus the regular Voice Mail activation fee if the
line does not already have Voice Mail service.
When you are ready to have your telephone line reconnected,
contact us and we'll restore it to an active state at no extra charge.
To Temporarily Disconnect or Reconnect Service
To request a temporary disconnection or reconnection, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information.
- The name of the requesting department.
- The name and telephone number of the requester, and a departmental contact (if different).
- The University or BARC Account Number to be used for the monthly temporary disconnection fee.
- For each telephone line to be changed, please specify:
- The telephone number.
- The desired action (Temporary Disconnection or Reconnection).
- Whether you want to add a Greeting Only Voice Mailbox.
- The date the change should be made.
For Additional Information
Send email to email@example.com,
or call Customer Services at extension 8700.